Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Trailer Watch: The Great Gatsby

As well as watching films, I love watching trailers. Anticipating a new film after you've watched the trailer is like being a child, putting a toy on your Christmas list and waiting for Christmas morning so you can play with it and experience just how awesome it is for yourself, rather than just admiring it from afar. 


So with this in mind, I have decided to highlight some trailers of upcoming films that I like the look of and have marked on my calendar - there are a lot of 'Christmas mornings' on my calendar at the moment!


The first trailer I would like to draw your attention to is The Great Gatsby.


Good on screen chemistry? Let's hope so!


To say that I am looking forward to this film is an understatement. F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel is one of my favourite books of all time, Leonardo Di Caprio is one of my favourite actors, and I'm loving Carey Mulligan at the moment. And to top it all, it's being directed by Baz Luhrmann and I adore his style (aside from Australia - that was a let down).


The trailer opens with scenes of the roaring 20s in New York, filled with glamour and debauchery brought on by prohibition. In typical Luhrmann style, these retro scenes are juxtaposed by thoroughly modern music - Kanye West & Jay Z to be precise. I'm not entirely sure if this is the right way to go with such a classic story, but we'll see. Said classic story was first published in 1925 and tells the tale of a group of young and fabulous people who all come together at an exuberant party, held by Jay Gatsby (DiCaprio), a very enigmatic man, shrouded in secrets. Drama and scandal ensue...


Cast-wise, the film looks brilliant - Di Caprio looks calm, cool and collected as the mysterious Jay Gatsby whilst Cary Mulligan looks very much at ease as the effervescent  Daisy Buchanan (big names such as Michelle Williams, Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson and the currently popular Blake Lively were all batted around as possibilities for the role in early stages of casting). Personally, I have mixed feelings for Toby Maguire as an actor, and portraying Nick Carraway means he bares the responsibility of being the narrator and audience's guide through the film, so it will be interesting to see how he plays the role.


I'm sure the film is going to be greatly anticipated by many, as it already has such a high profile and is certain to be compared to the 70s adaptation that starred Mia Farrow and Robert Redford. But nobody does decadence quite like Lurhmann: you know it's going to be a glamourous affair and I can't wait to see the drama unfold. 









No comments:

Post a Comment